Random Blog Post
Moving from Saint Louis to Los Angeles:
I moved from St. Louis to LA, in the sizzling hot summer heat, with two kitties and a car full of clothes. It was defiantly a stressful, but fun experience. In the April of 2018, I was notified by Art Center College of Design, that I had been admitted to the program I applied at. Having not heard from any other school yet, this meant I was moving to CA before the start of the fall 2018 semester. I set a date of June 30 to leave St. Louis. Everything was going smoothly and as planned. Before my departure, I took my car in to a shop to get it tuned for the long road trip ahead. This was about 4 days before my scheduled departure date. I dropped my car off at the shop and after two days, at around 4 pm, I got a call that my car was ready to be picked up. They said I could go there before the shop closed, at 5 pm, to do so. There was a thunderstorm coming so I told the shop I would go the next morning. This was two days before I was moving. I got up early in the morning to go pick up my car. I had a lot to do that day, from packing the car to meeting up with a few different people to say goodbye. I got to the shop and could not locate my car in the lot of the shop. I went inside and as soon as I entered, I was greeted by the owner and the main mechanic of the shop. They immediately took me to their office and notified me that my car was not ready to be driven anymore. Apparently when the thunderstorm came through Saint Louis the night before, it broke off one of the electrical poles that was by the shop. That pole had only hit one car on their lot and that one car, was my car. My whole hood and windshield was now destroyed. The shop apologized, even though it was not their fault. They knew this was going to delay my move. It took an extra 3 days for the shop to do the body work on my car, but this time the car was finally ready. I had previously organized and packed all my belongings. I sold all my furniture in the beginning of summer. All I was keeping and taking with me to CA, were my clothes, some personal belongings and my two cats.
With the help of my brother, I was able to pack and get everything situated in my car the night before I left. The weather was really hot. It was about 110 °F and super humid. I miserable and not happy at all. Finally with a lot of encouragement and words of wisdom by my brother, I left St. Louis on July 2. I cried the first few hours of my 25 hours of driving. After I was done crying, I started enjoying the scenery and appreciating nature. Even though I was sad to leave my memories and family behind, I realized life could be worse and there are some people who don't have access to proper education. I was lucky to be able to have the option to attend a school of my choice.
On the first day of my drive, I went through Missouri, Oklahoma and the northern tip of Texas. The only thing that I was worried about, was how my cats would hold up for the long drive. Surprisingly, they were just fine. I had put them in an oversized dog kennel that took over my whole back seat.
I moved from St. Louis to LA, in the sizzling hot summer heat, with two kitties and a car full of clothes. It was defiantly a stressful, but fun experience. In the April of 2018, I was notified by Art Center College of Design, that I had been admitted to the program I applied at. Having not heard from any other school yet, this meant I was moving to CA before the start of the fall 2018 semester. I set a date of June 30 to leave St. Louis. Everything was going smoothly and as planned. Before my departure, I took my car in to a shop to get it tuned for the long road trip ahead. This was about 4 days before my scheduled departure date. I dropped my car off at the shop and after two days, at around 4 pm, I got a call that my car was ready to be picked up. They said I could go there before the shop closed, at 5 pm, to do so. There was a thunderstorm coming so I told the shop I would go the next morning. This was two days before I was moving. I got up early in the morning to go pick up my car. I had a lot to do that day, from packing the car to meeting up with a few different people to say goodbye. I got to the shop and could not locate my car in the lot of the shop. I went inside and as soon as I entered, I was greeted by the owner and the main mechanic of the shop. They immediately took me to their office and notified me that my car was not ready to be driven anymore. Apparently when the thunderstorm came through Saint Louis the night before, it broke off one of the electrical poles that was by the shop. That pole had only hit one car on their lot and that one car, was my car. My whole hood and windshield was now destroyed. The shop apologized, even though it was not their fault. They knew this was going to delay my move. It took an extra 3 days for the shop to do the body work on my car, but this time the car was finally ready. I had previously organized and packed all my belongings. I sold all my furniture in the beginning of summer. All I was keeping and taking with me to CA, were my clothes, some personal belongings and my two cats.
With the help of my brother, I was able to pack and get everything situated in my car the night before I left. The weather was really hot. It was about 110 °F and super humid. I miserable and not happy at all. Finally with a lot of encouragement and words of wisdom by my brother, I left St. Louis on July 2. I cried the first few hours of my 25 hours of driving. After I was done crying, I started enjoying the scenery and appreciating nature. Even though I was sad to leave my memories and family behind, I realized life could be worse and there are some people who don't have access to proper education. I was lucky to be able to have the option to attend a school of my choice.
On the first day of my drive, I went through Missouri, Oklahoma and the northern tip of Texas. The only thing that I was worried about, was how my cats would hold up for the long drive. Surprisingly, they were just fine. I had put them in an oversized dog kennel that took over my whole back seat.
On the second day of my drive, I woke up to an email from USC's office of admission with the good news of my acceptance as a transfer student. This made me more motivated and very happy. It was a sign that I had made the right decision to move from St. Louis, when I did. That day I drove through New Mexico and Arizona. I drove about 13 hours and was debating if I should drive the whole way to Los Angeles. It was the eve of Fourth of July. There were many beautiful fireworks going off around that I could see while driving so I decided to stop for the night and enjoy the fireworks.
On the last day of my long drive across America, I had only about 6 hours of driving left, before I made it to Pasadena, CA. Overall, the whole experience was incredible and went by too fast. I went to the Rose Bowl for the fourth of July fire works that night. It was defiantly magical.





I completely understand your experience! I was lucky enough to live in St. Louis for 5 years, and every summer my family would drive our 12-passenger van across the country to SoCal. A couple times we even took the same exact route you did! It was so cool to read this and hear about someone else's take on the experience.
ReplyDelete-Kaela
As someone who has lived in Southern California my whole life I can't relate to this experience but because of that it was really cool to get your perspective on it!
ReplyDelete-Christian