Random Blog - II
In this random blog post I will talk about my recent medical condition I had that made me end up in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). About a week before spring break, I started coughing. I thought it was just a regular cough that would go away. But It was not. It was a very bad dry cough with zero mucus coming out. Gradually I started feeling shortness of breath and could not sleep at night. On March 16 I went to the student health center to see what is going on. Upon arrival at the health center, they took my vitals and my Oxygen saturation value was at 88%. Healthy individuals exhibit oxygen saturation values between 96% and 99%. They did a chest x-ray and gave me a Nebulizer breathing treatment which brought my oxygen saturation level up to 94%. I was sent me home with an antibiotic z-pack, steroids to open up my lungs and an inhaler. My physician at the health center asked me to go back for a follow up appointment on Monday March 18. I went home and the next two days my condition got worst. On Monday March 18 I went back for my follow up appointment. That day was a hard day for me to start. I did not sleep at all the night before because I could not breathe properly. I don't know how, but I got myself to the student health center at 8:30 am that morning and upon arrival they checked my vitals. My oxygen level was at 77%. The physician at the health center and the nurses started giving me breathing treatments and attached me to oxygen. This did not help bring my oxygen level up so the health center called the ambulance to rush me to an ER. After arriving at the ER in hospital, the regular nasal cannula oxygen was not helping at all in bringing my oxygen level up or helping me breathe so they admitted me to the ICU and put me on the High Flow Oxygen machine and this is where my 2 week hospital stay started. They did many test on me to figure out what has happened and diagnosed me with Hyper Sensitivity Pneumonitis (noo-moe-NIE-tis) which is inflammation of the lungs. I had tissues inside my lungs that were not supposed to be there and my lungs were severely inflamed. Over the next few days in the ICU, I was under care and the High Flow was giving my lungs 50% of the oxygen I was not able to breathe on my own. I was also getting Prednisone through my IV to help with the inflammation of the lungs. They transferred me to the Telemetry floor Of USC Keck Hospital once I got stable enough to be put on the nasal cannula oxygen machine.
During my stay at the Keck Hospital, I loved all my nurses and doctors. My sister was with me from me getting to the ER and every day after that. My favorite part of my hospital stay was the chats and connections I made with my nurses and caregivers everyday. I also loved getting visitors and loved when my sister brought me Persian food (which was almost everyday). My least favorite part for the first 6 days was not being allowed to move or walk and being attached to so many wires and monitors and tubes. My least favorite part Overall was missing so much school and having to catch up with everything once I was cleared. I have been feeling better and hoping everything is good and that my Pneumonitis will not come back.
Everything has been beautiful to me after I got discharged from the hospital. I look at things differently and appreciate my life a lot more.
Pneumonitis Hospital Diaries
Tiger (One of my Cats waiting for me to get home) March 20
Rainbow I saw outside my window on March 21
Sunrise Time lapse on March 22
Santa Monica Beach March 29
First place I went to after being discharged.
Malibu Beach March 29
It was amazing breathing the natural outside air after 14 days.
Malibu Beach March 29





Comments
Post a Comment