Job Description



Job Description: PERSONAL ASSISTANT

I was a personal assistant in my most recent salary job. I enjoyed being a personal assistant but did not like working for my boss. My boss was the CEO of a real estate company in St. Louis. Have you ever had a job like this where you liked the job and disliked the boss? If so, I feel your pain.

A Personal Assistant is a person who works for someone else and assists them throughout the day in most of what they have to do. A personal assistant (PA) typically carries out administrative work on behalf of one individual. This individual is usually a manager or executive in a company, or a person who can afford to have a personal assistant to help them in various tasks, on a daily basis. The role of a personal assistant is to free their boss’s time from organizing and administrative tasks so that they can spend maximum time on strategic tasks.

There are four descriptions that help sum up my duties as a personal assistant:

-    Schedule Manager

-    Travel agent

-    Dog Walker

-    Caregiver

Schedule Manager

Managing diaries while organizing meetings, appointments, and often controlling access to the boss.

Part of my job being a personal assistant was to manage my boss’s daily schedule and make sure nothing collided during the day. I needed to make sure she had a set time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. As odd at it seems, she relied on me to free up time in her schedule to do these. One time I forgot that she had a lunch meeting and it was at a restaurant that she did not like. I had forgotten about it and she was not happy with me. I also had to make sure all her personal doctors’ appointments were scheduled on time about 9 months ahead of time. I had to check her voice mail every two hours and then text her the content of the voice mail in a text message with all the needed information.

Travel agent

As a PA, one of my duties was to book and arrange travel, transport, and accommodations. I did this at least once a month as my boss traveled frequently to Los Angeles. My boss managed a band of musicians who were from Australia, so I also had to make arrangements when they were touring the United Stated of America.

Dog Walker

Walking the family dog was one of my favorite parts of my job. The dog was a Bernese Mountain dog that I would take care of on a daily basis. My boss lived in a high rise building so every morning at 7 am I would take the dog, “Dooley”, across where they lived, to a park. Dooley could roam around freely and see his other dog friends. He was the sweetest 150 lbs dog. I was also in charge of scheduling his vet appointments and grooming sessions. Taking Dooley to the groomers was really fun as I got to see many other dogs.



Occasional caregiver

As a personal assistant to a single mother, I often helped take care of her only child. He was with her three days a week. I would take him to school on those days and made sure he had done his homework. I was also in charge of his meals when he was around. I managed all of his appointments. I would arrange for him to have playdates or various activities. For this part of the job, I would basically do whatever was asked of me to help with during the day. I also had a list of things in mind on different days that I would cover. For example, I would do the grocery shopping, post office, and run to the if needed.

Flesch Reading Ease: 71.4
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 7.4
Passive Sentences: 0%

Comments

  1. WOW! Looks like you were very busy during that period. That is a lot of tasks for a Personal Assistant. I did not know that a PA has to manage the private live of their bosses as well.
    Over all you did a good job in describing the job.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that you were a PA! I always thought that job seemed incredibly demanding and difficult. Cool to hear what is expected from this job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems so so busy! While it would be incredibly frustrating if you were not the biggest fan of your boss, at least you definitely learned time management here! That's going to help you forever. I think also becoming so familiar with a CEO's schedule will make it easier for you later on if you ever want to become a CEO, as you'll already know what a daily schedule looks like! And hopefully if nothing else, at least the dog made it more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random Blog - II

Expert Article - Draft - Secrets of Saffron

How I killed Pluto and why it had it coming